Thumb sucking


What do you all think of this?

Dakota has NEVER taken a pacifier. Well, she has taken it once or twice when she was a newborn, but she spat it out after a while and it was of very little use to her. We've always managed fine without it.

However, recently she has started using her thumb as an alternative. I am seriously trying to stop her (except for this one time I whipped out the camera) every time she puts her fingers near her mouth I tell her "NO!" and try and pull them out. I don't want want it to develop into a habit or mess up her teeth or anything like that. Now hubby thinks I am being too strict on it, I think I am a bit too. He says if it sooths her let her do it, she will "probably" grow out of it when she's older. I don't know what to do, I don't want her to be the kid teased at school because she has got the terrible habit of sucking her thumb subconsciously permanently, I don't want it to mess up her speech or leave her buck-toothed. But at the same time, I think I am being a bit of an evil Mommy about it. She is only 11mos.

Thoughts?

Love, A xo.
2 Responses
  1. Candice Says:

    I don't have any theories of my own yet, but my little brother sucked him thumb until he was in Kindergarden - maybe even First Grade. He is almost 18 now and his teeth and speech are fine. I'm 10 years older than he is so I didn't live at home when he was in school, but I don't remember him having any problems then either.
    Good Luck!


  2. Sherri Says:

    While you have fears of Dakota sucking her thumb in kindgarten, I have the same fear of Ashlynn with her pacifier...she is addicted to that thing!! I'm just going to let her have it for now, esp. with the adjustment of a new little one coming, she'll soon grow out of it...(i hope!)

    BTW...I have the same Chicco car seat! :)